twitter


I've decided to add a new feature in my classroom: The Metaphor of the Week.  I want to really push my students to think metaphorically this school year, so I will be providing a weekly example.  Eventually, I will have students assigned to create upcoming weeks' metaphors for the whole class, as well as individual metaphors for their writer's notebooks.

I--who will also be teaching my students to draw Mr. Stick (our writer's notebook "mascot")--will be illustrating each week's metaphor with an original Mr. Stick by me.  I will be challenging my students to create their own (different) Mr. Stick drawings based on the week's metaphor.

In my new classroom, I've got two half-sized white boards on either side of my Interactive SmartBoard. I've decided one of these half-boards will hold my "Mr. Stick's Metaphor of the Week."  Here is the metaphor/drawing I created for our first week of school.  Click on it to see it larger:


I want the metaphors to all be about life, dreams, and education...so if anyone has any suggestions for upcoming weeks, please let me know what they are!

Here's to a fabulous first week of school with a brand new set of kiddos!

--Corbett

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your amazing ideas! Hope you have a wonderful first week! I have been using your September Bingo card with my students and it has really motivated some of my most reluctant writers. THANK YOU!

  1. A fabulous idea! Enjoy your first week back.

  1. Such a great idea - helping children to think metaphorically and visually! I'm going to try to implement something similar! I will share what my middle school students come up with in the upcoming weeks!

Post a Comment